Rebuilding my Record Power dust extractor

Rebuilding my Record Power CGV286-4 dust extractor

In Record Power Dust extractor meltdown I wrote about how I melted my dust extractor. In a moment of pure comedy I said I’d rebuild it about a week after writing that piece.

Now, we’re just two weeks shy of it being a year since that day. During that period it has been a thorn in my side, constantly in the way in the workshop, I have tripped over it, cursed at it and looked with guilt at the box of parts that I bought as soon as I had decided that a rebuild was possible. Finally I plucked up the courage to fix this thing and it ended up going really smoothly. Don’t wait to face the pain; just get on with it, once again for me it’s a case of JFDI!

Before rebuilding I needed to tear down the unit, remove melted components and clean away residue from parts that were undamaged or reusable.

The motors hang upside down from the lid of the barrel. I disconnected them and gradually labelled all of the wiring connections so that it would be as easy as possible to put back together. I cleaned off the melted remains of the glue and partial gaskets from the underside of the lid using white spirit and rags.

I vacuumed as much of the motors’ works as I could, then used compressed air and gradually applied the same white spirit and rags approach on the gaskets themselves, most of which still adhered to the motors’ flanges. This took time and patience, I used a tiny paint brush to repeatedly apply the solvent, leave it for a couple of minutes to work and then wipe off. Bit by bit the whole motor flanges became clean of sticky gunk.

When operating, each of the motors has a plastic cage at its base, which holds the filters away from the impeller intake to allow airflow. Once of these was utterly welded to its motor. I clamped the motor horizontally to a couple of blocks of wood and was surprised the frame popped off cleanly after just a minute or so of applying a heat gun and a tiny amount of leverage.

The two circular motor housings both have a flat section in their flanges (the means of attachment to the lid), which need to be echoed in the gaskets, so I masking taped them into position, marked up the overlap area with a ruler and white pencil, and used a craft knife to cut out the meeting flat areas. I removed the backing from the new lid gaskets. This was a complete pain and became a theme, with all gaskets except one requiring craft knife, magnifying glass and tweezers to start an edge of the backing to peel back. Once started the backing comes right off and adheres on first touch, so there’s only one shot - they went on without a hitch.

I gave the motor housings another good wipe down and a final vacuum, reaching as much as I could of the moving parts. I fitted the two flange gaskets ensuring I didn’t block the holes for the set screws that attach each motor to its plastic housing. I hot glued the filter basket to each motor (thank you Darren @RecordPower for this tip) and when the glue had cured I used the set screws to fix each motor to its plastic housing. Setting the complete units beside the melted original filter baskets is a shame reminder!!

 

Each of my wiring labels was removed as I joined its connection. I added two areas of heat shrink insulation where I felt that live components were too close to each other. I plugged it in and used a Fluke tester to ensure that power was only where it was meant to be; and was at last able to fire it up for a test run, and it works!

I refitted all of the filters and put the Record Power back into my extraction chain, which returns a household Hoover to more appropriate use!

So I avoided this task for a year, yet it took me less than 4 hours to complete. What an idiot! From now on I’ll be more careful about checking fine dust build up, and it should last me many years.